Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Tomorrow's my due date, so in honor of that...

Here is a question all pregnant women find themselves asking at least once.
Why, does everyone and their brother (yes brother's too!) have an opinion about everything you plan to do? From decorating the nursery, to labor and delivery, to cloth or disposable diapers, to formula or breastfeeding... Everyone has an opinion.

And whether you ask for it or not, they're going to give it to you. 

"Oh you're doing a jungle theme? Isn't that a little OVER DONE?"
"You don't want an epidural? You'll change your mind really quick on that one"
"Cloth diapers are really SO much better for the environment and end up being REALLY cost efficient"
"Oh... you plan to breastfeed? Isn't that like SO outdated?"
"You plan to breastfeed for HOW long? That's too long"

(Yes. I have heard all of these and more)

Well. Here's a news flash from probably every pregnant woman you will ever come across.

WE DONT CARE WHAT YOU THINK.

I personally feel that every new mom should be given this to put on her child when out in public. 


In my opinion, each parent has done a lot of things right and done a lot of things wrong when it comes to raising their kids. And each child is different. So how can YOU tell ME how to raise MY son?

To answer the questions from earlier: 

Yes. I am doing a jungle theme. No, I don't think it's over done. It hasn't been done in my house, so for me, it's not over done. 
Right now, no I don't want an epidural. And so what if I do change my mind? I am the one going through it. NOT YOU. (Another post about this is coming tomorrow)
I don't care how great cloth diapers are for the environment. I'm using disposable. I'd like to keep what little sanity I'll still have once he's here, thank you. 
Yes. I do plan on breastfeeding. No it's not weird. It's actually the best thing I can do for my son. It's definitely NOT outdated.
I plan to breastfeed until he naturally weens himself. No, I'm not weird, I don't plan to breastfeed until he's 6, but if he doesn't ween until 1 year old who cares? Remember, the human race wouldn't be here if it weren't for breastfeeding!
FACT: The production of breast milk changes as the baby changes. 
FACT: Breastfeeding protects against Crohn's disease (which an uncle of mine has), lowers MY risk for breast and ovarian cancer, lowers both the baby's risk AND mine for diabetes, PLUS a ton of other benefits! 
Want the full list?

So. Moral of the story is, when you are curious and ask a pregnant lady her plans when it comes to her child, listen. Understand that they are plans. Plans change whether we want them to or not, and, it is no one's fault when they do change! (This also needs to be understood by any soon-to-be Momma's or want-to-be soon-to-be Momma's out there!) But don't try to change them for her. Because shoving your opinion down her throat will do nothing but make her angry at you and set an all around uneasiness of emotion.
Remember, pregnant ladies are emotional, whether they show it or not. And they have every right to be! If there is any time in a woman's life that she is allowed to be emotional with no one questioning it, it's when she's pregnant. Just remember that when you think it is a good idea to voice your opinion about her plans ;-)


No comments:

Post a Comment