Friday, July 20, 2012

Don't be such a worry wart.

Everyone worries. It's just a fact of life. 

As you grow up you worry about having a boyfriend or girlfriend, you worry about your grades, what you look like, if people will like you... you just worry.

When you become a parent though, you develop a whole new set of worries. 

Who will my child become?
Will I be a good parent?
Will I know what to do?
Will I know what to say? 
Will we have a strong bond?
Will I provide him with the childhood memories like I had?


When I think about my childhood and the good memories, I think about sitting outside of Hoffman's in the grass eating ice cream with my mom and dad, just laughing and enjoying each other's company.
I think about going to bed in the summer with the windows open listening to the crickets chirp and just being at peace. 
I think about being forced to clean my room, and just sitting there all day playing with things I haven't played with in forever, not doing any cleaning at all.


And I start to wonder...
Will my son have these kind of memories? 
Will he be able to look back on his childhood and smile knowing that his father and I gave him everything we possibly could? Will he be proud?

And then I watch the news. 
And I see evil that exists in the world that I never thought imaginable.
I hear about 13 people shot and killed and dozens more injured all from one crazed man in a movie theater. Among the injured, a three month old. 
Three months. 
How could this happen?
It hurts my heart to know that my children have to grow up in such an evil, selfish world.

And I worry about it.
I refuse to let my children grow up fearing the world. 
And I refuse to allow my children to become part of the problem as well. 
My children will learn to respect everyone that crosses their path. 

If everyone had respect, there wouldn't be so much to worry about.

No comments:

Post a Comment