Saturday, July 14, 2012

We're Going Through Changes...

Whenever a baby is expected, people prepare for the changes ahead. 

The endless nights.

The lack of sleep.

The financial changes.

I could go on and on. 

But a few things happen that people don't expect and no one really tells you it's going to happen.

CHANGE NUMBER 1:
You no longer find poop SO disgusting. 
Instead, it becomes more of a... "eh, whatever, it's just poop."
The same goes for pee, vomit, boogers, eye gunk... pretty much anything that is produced by the body and can be defined as disgusting, no longer is. You see it so often that it doesn't even phase you anymore.

CHANGE NUMBER 2:
 You forget about yourself. 
This one, you kind of get some warning about, but not completely. 
Almost everyday, I find myself at 10 pm remembering I didn't eat dinner. I become so consumed in taking care of the baby, that I forget to take care of myself, which probably isn't a good thing, but it is what it is.

CHANGE NUMBER 3:
You become SUPER creative.
For example. Baby doesn't want to be put down or away from you and you have groceries to put away, floors to sweep, dishes to do, etc...? Why you simply strap them on and enjoy the ride. 
On more than one occasion I have been known to pull out my infant carrier, strap the baby to me, and go to work. (We're still working on breaking his habit of needing to be held constantly, but how can you say "No" to someone SO CUTE!?!?!)

CHANGE NUMBER 4:
You become much more aware of time.
My phone has become my best friend simply for the clock. I am constantly checking the time when he falls asleep, wakes up, begins nursing, finishes nursing, when to start our bedtime routine...
I know I shouldn't be living by the clock but I'm a paranoid first time parent. So shoot me.

CHANGE NUMBER 5:
You become THE FLASH.
Something that use to take an hour to do, now only takes ten minutes.
Shower? Heck I can do that in two minutes flat now. 
Fold 3 loads of laundry? Done in ten minutes.
It's actually ridiculous.

Well... those are the first few major ones that come to mind. Baby is waking up now. At least he napped in his swing long enough for me to eat, fold laundry, do the dishes, sweep the floor, and write this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment